Renovating your property will likely enhance the building, adding extra living space along with value – which can be ideal whether you plan to sell the house soon or at a later date.
So if you’re planning to have renovation work, here are 7 top tips from our Shropshire builder to help make the experience a stress-free success.
1. Find a recommend builder Shropshire and carpenter Shropshire before you do anything. Ask friends, family, work colleagues, or search online for a reputable builder in the local Shropshire area. Before you commit, make sure you see a work portfolio to be sure the company works to the highest standard and is able to provide the type of building service you need.
2. Ask your Shropshire builder and Shropshire carpenter to visit to discuss your renovation ideas. Professional tradesmen will advise you on what will work, the best way to proceed and cover anything else you need to know such as whether a structural survey is needed before you start. A good builder Shropshire will also work to your budget, making sure your money works hard.
3. Check the particulars of your property. For example, if it’s listed or in a conservation area you may need to get planning permission for the renovation work. Speak to your planning officer and builder Shropshire to establish the way forward. And you may want to ask a local estate agent to visit the house and give an idea of how much the house would be worth once the renovation is completed – this should also help you budget effectively for the project.
4. Project manage yourself if possible, or use a building firm that is able to offer this service in addition, to help you keep track of the project and the costs.
5. Have a contingency budget of around 20% extra to cover any unexpected costs along the way. It’s a good idea to be prepared for a similar extra amount of time for the project completion to allow for unseen delays.
6. Get creative, and think how exactly you want your renovated home to look. This includes the materials used, which you may want to source from unusual places including timber yards and architectural reclamation yards.
7. Enjoy the process. Depending on the scale of the renovation work to be undertaken by your builder Shropshire, divide it into sections – by concentrating on one room at a time, you’ll make the experience more enjoyable as well as contain the mess more easily.